Our Core Values
GO ABOVE & BEYOND EXPECTATIONS
Loyal & Dependable
POSITIVE ENERGY & HIGH INTENSITY WORK ETHIC
Meet Our Team
Kirsten has unequaled communication, public relations and public affairs experience. She’s a professional strategist who has excelled in all types of high exposure communications. Seasoned. Fast on her feet. Pressure tested. Through her vast experience in national and statewide politics, non-profit development, and corporate public relations, Kirsten has established a reputation as a leader who can recommend the right communication strategy for every situation, no matter how unique.
Before starting K2, Kirsten led communications on some of the highest profile political campaigns in the country giving her unmatched experience in the political process and access to leaders up to the highest offices in the U.S. Kirsten’s communications experience brought her from the House of Representatives to a successful U.S. Senate campaign. She also served for five years as the National Press Secretary for a National Political Committee. She served as Communications Director for a presidential campaign before leading the communications operations for a 2016 National Convention. Kirsten accepted a fellowship at the University of Chicago’s Institute of Politics where she taught a course called “The American Political Playbook – Can’t Live With It, Can’t Live Without It,” analyzing the 2016 election.
She has unmatched experience in crisis communications, media relations, communications planning and strategy, grassroots advocacy, social media campaigns, media placement, opposition research, media booking, media training and writing.
Kirsten now uses her understanding of the political process and connections to help companies, nonprofits and associations navigate tough situations whether it’s building an advocacy campaign or developing a communications strategy.
- Hometown: Elk River, Minnesota
- Personal Motto: Get to Yes. Work Hard, Play Hard
- Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
- Favorite Quote: “The secret of getting ahead is getting started.” – Mark Twain
- Favorite Sport: I grew up playing softball year-round and love the game. As a spectator, I love watching baseball.
- Dream Client: Minnesota Twins
- Favorite show to binge watch: Criminal Minds
- Favorite Podcast: Missing in Alaska
- First thing you’d buy if you won the lottery: A trip to Hawaii
- Where would we find you in your free time: Reading, working out, watching a sporting events
- Tell us one thing most people don’t know about you: I walked onto the crew team in college.
Kristen is a development and fundraising expert who brings nearly two decades of experience to work for her clients. She creates transformational change, helping clients navigate donors, fundraising, grants and relationship building. Whether it’s a statewide political candidate seeking election or a nonprofit looking to spread and grow in their mission, Kristen is unparalleled in finding success through a combination of big picture thinking and executing tactics down to the smallest detail.
Kristen has led fundraising teams and coordinated raising tens of millions of dollars over the past decade. Her fundraising expertise stems from years of experience building comprehensive development plans and coordinating fundraising for political clients and nonprofits. Whether it’s fundraising, grassroots or engaging media to build thought leadership and gain positive exposure, Kristen is a focused achiever who excels in developing and executing clear, organized plans to achieve measurable results and long-term sustainability.
Kristen spent her teenage years volunteering hours at local mission driven organizations – and it’s where she learned that she has a passion for helping others and making a difference. She knew she wanted to bring that mission-driven work into a career. She cut her political and fundraising teeth on campaigns in the early 2000s and then spent time growing and leading in public affairs and development work before starting K2 & Co. in 2017.
- Hometown: Youngstown, Ohio
- Personal Motto: If at first you don’t succeed – try again!
- Favorite Book: The Go Giver, Mans Search for Meaning (by far my favorite!)
- Favorite Quote: “Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way” – Viktor Frankl
- Favorite Sport: I don’t play a sport, I rarely watch sports unless my son is playing, but I do love all things PiYo (Pilates + Yoga) and Turbokick that I teach them in my spare time
- Dream Client: Beachbody, Clean Wine Company or Godiva Chocolate
- Favorite show to binge watch: I’m documentary obsessed now and Beachfront Bargain Hunt
- Favorite Podcast: NPR How I Built This, The Chalene Show for all things health and business, Entreleadership, The John Maxwell Podcast
- First thing you’d buy if you won the lottery: A home on St. John
- Where would we find you in your free time: Always with my family…..and in PiYo studio or by the water (Caribbean, Pacific, St. Croix River, Lake Erie or pile of snow in my backyard!)
- Tell us one thing most people don’t know about you: I’m equal parts health nut and food junkie. Following a trip to the yoga studio…pizza, chocolate and wine would make a perfect meal for me!
Nick is a tested public affairs, communications, and public relations professional with 15+ years experience at the nexus of politics, government, law, and the private sector. He has earned the trust of corporate executives, community leaders, and high-ranking elected officials for his ability to achieve strategic objectives by activating grassroots networks, framing compelling media narratives, and executing successful marketing campaigns. Relentlessly focused on achieving results, Nick has spent his career navigating multi-dimensional problems in crisis situations at the highest levels, and has the hands-on experience, wisdom, and battle scars to prove it.
Nick has been a recognized leader on high-profile political and issue campaigns at the national, state, and local levels, giving him a deep understanding of politics and media and a national rolodex of top leaders from across the political spectrum. He has extensive experience in his home state of Illinois, where he served as Executive Director and Special Counsel for one of the statewide political parties and served as a senior team member for a Governor, three statewide campaigns, and a state legislative campaign operation. Most recently, in 2020, he led the effort from concept to execution to defeat the retention of a sitting Supreme Court justice for the first time in Illinois history. Through these roles, he developed an unrivaled network of grassroots leaders in every corner of the state and an unprecedented ability to strategically navigate the challenging political and media environments in Illinois.
In addition to his diverse Illinois experience, Nick has designed, produced, and executed scores of large-scale strategic communications, media, and grassroots engagement opportunities throughout the country for multiple presidential campaigns, federal agencies, non-profits, and Fortune 100 companies. Whether it is for Pope Francis’ visit to the US, a nationwide bus tour of small businesses with GE Capital, or bilateral meetings in Jerusalem with the Israeli Prime Minister and President of the Palestinian Authority, Nick is routinely called upon to help accomplish strategic goals through the successful execution of world-class events and media engagements on a large-scale.
Nick has deep, varied experience and an extensive network in Illinois and throughout the country that he employs to help companies, non-profits, and associations achieve strategic objectives through advocacy campaigns, grassroots engagement initiatives, and dynamic communications strategies. As a licensed attorney, he also offers a unique perspective that can help clients navigate the maze of complicated federal and state laws at the intersection of politics, public affairs, and media.
- Hometown: Altamont, Illinois
- Personal Motto: Opportunities don’t happen. We create them.
- Favorite Book: The Grapes of Wrath – John Steinbeck
- Favorite Quote: Teddy Roosevelt’s “Man in the Arena:” “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”
- Favorite Sport: Golf, college basketball, college football (despite my ill-fated University of Illinois rooting interest)
- Dream Client: The Big Ten Conference
- Favorite show to binge watch: Game of Thrones (before season 8)
- Favorite Podcast: Hacks on Tap, Barstool Sports’ Foreplay, The Daily
- First thing you’d buy if you won the lottery: A vacation home to host my family and close friends
- Where would we find you in your free time: At the park with my son and black lab Augie. Bring a ball, and Augie will be your friend forever. My son will gleefully play along all day.
- Tell us one thing most people don’t know about you: I am an self-proclaimed expert on trivia about the TV show, Saved by the Bell.
Chelsea helps her clients navigate the complex worlds of media, political engagement and issue advocacy, delivering meaningful results.
At K2 & Co. she manages a variety of clients, specializing in health care, agriculture, energy issues, community-based nonprofits, and creating and executing strategic communications plans. In her time at K2, she has hosted numerous congressional roundtables on behalf of several national trade associations, planned and executed a recruiting event for a global retail giant, provided communication director services for a local association, and collaborated with numerous Fortune 500s to build thought leadership on behalf of coalitions and issue advocacy efforts.
Chelsea is a skilled public relations, public affairs and communications professional known for building relationships with press, policymakers and grasstops and grassroots advocates, tailoring messaging to fit brands and engage diverse audiences, and creating compelling media narratives. She has extensive experience building coalitions, helping clients through strategic and crisis communications planning, and preparing leaders to engage with media.
Before joining K2, Chelsea started her career as a communications intern for a gubernatorial campaign in 2010. She then joined the Minnesota House of Representatives where she spent eight years, including five years as a communications specialist. She graduated from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln with a Bachelor of Journalism in advertising and political science.
- Hometown: Woodbury, Minnesota
- Personal Motto: Travel often
- Favorite Book: So hard to choose! Harry Potter, anything Neil Gaiman, Pride and Prejudice, Odd Thomas…
- Favorite Quote: “Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.” – Oscar Wilde
- Favorite Sport: Football. Go Patriots!
- Dream Client: The New England Patriots or an animal rescue charity
- Favorite show to binge watch: Arrested Development or Bob’s Burgers
- Favorite Podcast: I think I am the only person left who hasn’t gotten into podcasts yet. Taking recommendations!
- First thing you’d buy if you won the lottery: A plane ticket!
- Where would we find you in your free time: By the pool in the summer, watching football on Sundays, or binging a good TV show when it is too cold outside.
- Tell us one thing most people don’t know about you: I have no musical talent of any kind!
Justin brings years of experience in campaign and non-profit communications. Whether writing, editing, pitching, or interviewing, Justin has worked with press across the country on campaigns and issues with national visibility.
At K2, Justin’s work has spanned 10 states in the greater midwest and beyond, bringing clients wins in their media outreach and grassroots efforts. Whether it’s coalition building, securing local media coverage, or landing a national booking, Justin has done it all for his clients.
His start in communications came in the form of regional press outreach on a 2016 presidential primary campaign, gaining experience writing, pitching, and working closely with reporters to tell the candidate’s story. From there, he joined a National Convention team, a college-engagement driven political committee, and a gubernatorial campaign before making a switch to non-profit work.
Prior to joining K2, Justin was a part of a Chicago-based non-profit and was tasked with developing a strategic initiative to better tell the stories of the children and families they serve. He is an energetic, focused team player committed to providing quality messaging and communications support to his clients.
- Hometown: Philadelphia, PA
- Personal Motto: Trust your Gut
- Favorite Book: My Losing Season by Pat Conroy
- Favorite Quote: “The flame that burns twice as bright burns half as long” – Lao Tse, Tao Te Ching
- Favorite Sport: To watch, football, but to play – Water Polo
- Dream Client: The Philadelphia Eagles
- Favorite show to binge watch: Guy’s Grocery Games
- Favorite Podcast: More of an Audiobook guy
- First thing you’d buy if you won the lottery: James Bond’s Aston Martin DB5 of Goldfinger fame (though I’d have to learn to drive stick first)
- Where would we find you in your free time: Working on the house or laying around with my cats, Banana and Peanut Butter
- Tell us one thing most people don’t know about you: I’m an expert on all things Batman
Lauren works as an Account Executive for the K2 team. In her role, Lauren has elevated grassroots and grasstops voices through successful coalition building, and has also secured media coverage across Minnesota for a range of clients. Additionally, her capabilities extend into development from fundraising and event organizing for K2 clientele.
Lauren originally joined the K2 and Co. team in September 2020 as an intern, and after a year developing her communications and public affairs skills, she joined the team as an account executive in September of 2021. Her ability to deliver written materials, social media and client research in a timely manner is continuously relied upon by her colleagues. Lauren brings her quirky, outgoing energy to every situation she finds herself in.
A recent college graduate, Lauren brings experience from multiple different internship and work positions throughout her collegiate career. Her experience includes campaign development, nonprofit government affairs, social media and writing communications roles.
Lauren began her work as an intern on two separate Minnesota congressional campaigns. Following this, she shifted to a government affairs internship position with Rise Inc, a social media internship with Social Venture Partners Minnesota, and a communications assistant position with the University of Minnesota’s Institute on the Environment. The COVID-19 pandemic might have thrown a kink into Lauren’s educational and professional goals, but she ultimately found herself working as an intern for K2 & Co.
When she is not working, Lauren enjoys cooking, indulging in wine and cheeses, checking out local breweries and giving it her best shot at trivia nights.
- Hometown: West Bend, WI
- Personal Motto: My 3 C’s: Confidence, Charisma and Connections
- Favorite Book: Out of My Mind by Sharon Draper
- Favorite Quote: “And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music” -Nietzsche
- Favorite Sport: Volleyball
- Dream Client: One who is an over communicator, easy-going and enjoys a sense of humor
- Favorite show to binge watch: Always Sunny in Philadelphia
- Favorite Podcast: Stuff You Missed in History Class
- First thing you’d buy if you won the lottery: Pay off my student loans
- Where would we find you in your free time: Checking out breweries, cooking, bar trivia, or owning karaoke night
- Tell us one thing most people don’t know about you: This is tough as an open, oversharer. Most people do not know that my favorite ice cream flavor is Pirates Bounty from Cedar Crest.
Chris Mulcahey has a robust background in communications and the legislative process. He joined K2 as an Account Executive where he is constantly working to find innovative strategies and solutions that elevate clients’ needs and surpass their expectations. Chris has a demonstrated interest in communications and the ability to develop and execute strategic communication plans that incorporate all elements of owned, earned, and paid media. He has an attention to detail that often goes unnoticed and can turn a good work product into a great one. He has ample experience in writing, social media management, media pitching, and grassroots advocacy.
After attending college in Washington, D.C. at the Catholic University of America and receiving a bachelors in politics, he went on to work on Capitol Hill, where he served as a press secretary and legislative assistant to a member of congress for two and a half years. While originally a Boston native, Chris moved from DC to Minnesota where he worked as a legislative assistant at the Minnesota State Capitol before joining the K2 team. Chris has maintained strong professional connections both at the state level in Minnesota and the federal level in Washington, D.C., adding a valued perspective for his clients. He has ample state-level campaign experience and enjoys the strategic decisions of campaigning.
Chris lives in South Minneapolis with his wife, Anne, and their dog, Stuart. In his free time he loves kayaking on Lake Nokomis and brewery-hopping downtown.
- Hometown: Waltham, MA
- Personal Motto: “Everyday you have a choice to make: get better or just get by.”
- Favorite Book: East of Eden by John Steinbeck
- Favorite Quote: “Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning takes care of itself.” – Bear Bryant
- Favorite Sport: Football
- Dream Client: Presidential Candidate
- Favorite show to binge watch: The West Wing, Breaking Bad, New Girl
- Favorite Podcast: Ruthless, Joe Rogan Experience and NYT The Daily
- First thing you’d buy if you won the lottery: A house in Maine
- Where would we find you in your free time: Kayaking, on a road trip, hanging out with my dog
- Tell us one thing most people don’t know about you: My favorite genre of music is rock from the 1970s
Grace works part-time for K2 after joining the K2 & Co. team as an intern in March of 2021. Grace works with K2’s clients to help create consistent messaging and promote their social media presence through strategic planning. With clients spread out across the U.S., she takes pleasure in staying up to date on all things current affairs and our clients appreciate her ability to write in detail about a multitude of topics. Her work includes social media drafting and planning, media pitching, writing a range of materials, as well as creating tailored graphics.
After catching the “political bug” Grace has served in numerous campaigns at the local, state, and federal level. Her unique understanding of both domestic policy and current affairs is shaped by colorful professional and personal experiences along the way.
She initially started as an intern for a New York congressional campaign where she was quickly promoted to handle the responsibilities of Field Organizer for the battleground district. Then Grace was off to Georgia to participate in the largest field campaign effort in the history of Senatorial races.
She graduated from the University of Alabama with a degree in International Studies, and has previously interned for the European Documentation Centre in Sevilla as an American liaison helping to distribute communications passed down from the European Union.
Most recently, Grace worked as a Public Relations Associate on behalf of the Majority Caucus at New York’s Nassau County Legislature. When she isn’t drafting material for social media or pitching a K2 client, you can typically find her trying a new restaurant or traveling.
- Hometown: Levittown, New York
- Personal Motto: Be extra in every way possible.
- Favorite Book: The Great Gatsby ~F. Scott Fitzgerald
- Favorite Quote: Psalm 46:5 “God is within her, she will not fall”
- Favorite Sport: Football, especially college…Roll Tide!
- Dream Client: One who is detail oriented, but also is fun and communicates well
- Favorite show to binge watch: Grey’s Anatomy or any of The Real Housewives Franchises
- Favorite Podcast: (I don’t listen to any, I’m sorry)
- First thing you’d buy if you won the lottery: A once in a lifetime trip to somewhere new and exotic
- Where would we find you in your free time: At a restaurant or home relaxing with a glass of red wine
- Tell us one thing most people don’t know about you: My two siblings and I all share the same birthday, but are all born in different years.
Elizabeth has more than 15 + years experience in recruiting, public relations and marketing, working with top agencies and corporations in the Twin Cities. As a development consultant, she advises clients on development, grass roots and fundraising needs using her relationship building, writing, and public relations background.
- Hometown: Eden Prairie, MN
- Personal Motto: “We must become the change we wish to see in the world. “ Gandhi
- Favorite Book: “Where the Red Fern Grows”
- Favorite Quote: “The most courageous act is still to think for yourself out loud.” Coco Chanel
- Favorite Sport: Downhill Skiing
- Dream Client: Elon Musk, Tesla
- Favorite show to binge watch: News, Antiques Roadshow, Housewives of Beverly Hills
- Favorite Podcast: Adam Carolla
- First thing you’d buy if you won the lottery: Not sure maybe Mercedes convertible
- Where would we find you in your free time: Reading, traveling, skiing
- Tell us one thing most people don’t know about you: When I was a teenager selling corn on the side of the road – for my farmer neighbor — a photographer stopped and took my picture. Later he asked if he could use it for a Cargill advertisement.
I am currently a student at the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities majoring in strategic communications with a minor in technical writing. My main area of study is public relations and I plan to graduate in May of 2023. I am originally from Madison where I worked in fundraising and development for a non-profit organization called The Evangelical Catholic before attending the University of Minnesota.
In my free time, I enjoy getting outdoors, whether it be camping, rock climbing, skiing, or any other outdoor activity. I also love exploring the different Minneapolis and St. Paul breweries.
I am incredibly excited to be starting with K2 and Company. I have a great passion for helping clients to communicate their position as clearly and succinctly as possible and I know that I will be able to do so here at K2. I really look forward to diving into projects for our clients that help shape their image and brand.
I am thrilled to be joining the K2 team as an intern this spring. I have already learned so much in my brief time here at K2 and I am looking forward to learning more along the way.
Sophie attended school at the University of St. Thomas & St. Catherine University, graduating with a Bachelor’s degree in Healthcare Management. She has a strong background in healthcare and clinical research.
She managed a number of highly innovative medical device trials in the greater Twin Cities. She prides herself in her commitment to making a difference in the community around her.
As of late, Sophie found a new interest in events, volunteering with event planning companies in the Minneapolis area. She loves to be a part of an event from start to finish.
We are excited for Sophie to join the team as her passion for bettering her community and skills in event planning will be utilized at K2 & Co.
I am from Edina, Minnesota, and attend the University of St. Thomas. I am currently a junior, majoring in Entrepreneurship and minoring in Political Science.
I have experience with marketing and journalism, as well as media from various companies and business groups. I am eager to learn more about public relations and how to apply it to the diverse clients here at K2.
I am excited to collaborate with the K2 team and other local organizations. Even though I just recently started, I already feel included as part of the team and I am excited for all of the projects we will be working on this spring!
In addition to attending classes at St. Thomas and interning at K2 this spring, I also enjoy being active, playing tennis, and enjoying time with friends and family.
Looking forward to working on more projects this spring!
© K2 & CO | All Rights Reserved // 314 N 1st Ave, Suite 300, Minneapolis, MN 55401